Wednesday, May 8, 2013

trapped in the head?

A thought is an electrical impulse inside the brain. If you think the same things everyday, if you worry all the time, it causes the brain to form a habit, it causes you to form a habit.

We think habitually and chronically about the same things, over and over again.

Crazy isn't it?

I received a letter recently that may affect where I live. I may have to move, and I really don't want to move. As a result, I felt anxious and uncertain about everything. It was as if the foundations of my life had been rocked. It lasted about three weeks. I felt anxious, and on top of that I had this rather harsh voice telling me that, 'because I'm a yogi I 'should' not be bothered by anything,' which of course just compounded the problem.

I have to say that the 'observer' aspect of my mind was still functional, I could 'see' this was happening. But because it was such a strong 'thought form' loaded with anxiety, it had become a physicalised issue by now too. In other words the thought related to the situation had caused an adrenal response in my body and increased the anxiety levels.

Anyway, I'm okay now, as they say. I managed to get things back on track by constantly reminding myself that this was 'not' as bad as my mind was perceiving it to be. I was using what, in 'cognitive behaviour therapy' they call 'disputing'. Such as; 'although this situation is quite upsetting, it is not going to kill me!' :))

So I used my mind, my positive mind, to dispute all the evidence that my 'conditioned mind was telling me. And I breathed, and stretched to cause my body to relax. I breathed consciously and deeply whilst disputing the chatter of my conditioned negative mind.

Once I had reset my nervous system, and felt more relaxed, I was able to get current time perspective again.

So it depends on the strength of the catalyst that causes you to go into an anxiety dream, fantasy, or whatever you want to call it. In other words the strength of the reactive thoughts, will determine the action you may need to take to get you back to the present.

The bigger the catalyst the harder you may need to work - so start with the small things, notice more.

Practice more and more becoming present to what you happen to be thinking about at any given time.

Do some some Pranayama as often as you need to.......
Same with Asana.

And don't let your practice become a neurotic routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment