Sunday, May 26, 2013

do as you will.

I'm 60, and I'm talking about Yoga.

I was washed up on the shores of Yoga in 1994. I went to my first Yoga class on my 44th birthday, and the number of the house I entered to do my first Yoga class, was number 44.

I saw that as significant at the time!

I wasn't overly enthralled by the sun salutations or some of the postures, but I liked the breathing.

I was taught, what was explained to me at the time, as Kriya Yoga. These were a set of breathing exercises, that made me feel very good - and that was all I really wanted.

The year previous to this I had undergone a series of treatments for Leukaemia. I wasn't happy, and the breathing helped.

After some time I moved on. I went to a Sivananda hybrid class, and I liked it. It also involved a lot of breathing - Kapalbhatti pumping, and alternate nostril breathing.

It made me feel good, so I went back many times for more for several years.

Then I felt the need to move on again, and began to do self practice. This is where I learned what Yoga was all about. During this period I experimented with different styles of Yoga, but I always came back to the breathing.

Last year I did an advanced teacher training with Sivananda, it was very difficult!

But, at 60 I feel great.

In my early life, in the 60's and 70's, I took lots of drugs - who didn't?

I took my last drug in 1974, and I stopped using alcohol 12 years later, in 1986.

Now what?

The one thing I can say with complete honesty is, I have always done what I 'thought' I wanted to do, and it is this has led me to where I am now.

It took a while but I got here.

Are you doing what you really want?

If not you'd better start.

Hadn't you?

Yoga helped me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment